Welcome to our EDOC Website (www.edoconline.co.uk) (“Our Site”).
This Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) (“We”, “Our” and “Us”) website contains content provided by users of Our Site who retain all of the copyright in their Contributions. Our Site is hosted by IPL Information Processing Limited.
Our Site has been created for the purpose of creating electronic Waste Transfer Notes and allowing users to create reports regarding their Waste Transfer Notes (“Reports”). Our Site has been designed with the aim of giving users of Our Site the same rights and protections in electronic Waste Transfer Notes as they would have had in a hard copy Waste Transfer Note. More information on the rights given to users and how Our Site operates is available on Our Site.
Terms of website use
- Only registered users (“Users”) can create Waste Transfer Notes and Reports on Our Site but non-registered users (“Guests”) can access the publicly accessible part of Our Site for information purposes and in order to register to receive information updates about Our Site.
- Use of Our Site includes accessing, browsing, or registering to use Our Site by both Users and Guests.
We grant You the right to access and use this Website. By accessing and using this Website You agree that You are:
- Involved in UK waste production, storage, transportation and/or disposal or are an employee or authorised representative of such an organisation; or
- A Statutory or Regulatory Body or an employee or authorised representative of such an organisation;
- A User accessing Our Site to obtain Reports; or
- Any other person who is using Our Site as a Guest.
You shall only access and use Our Site for:
- the purpose of creating and/or validating Waste Transfer Notes (WTNs) and to input associated information that You are required to provide under UK waste legislation or as otherwise requested on Our Site;
- creating, obtaining or downloading reports regarding the transfer of waste to which You have access (“Reports”); or
- to access information.
Reports that can be created on Our Site include:
- Business Report – the ability to create confidential reports about the waste transfer notes a user is involved in (including the creator and any organisations named in the Waste Transfer Note) for their own business purposes.
- Waste tonnage returns reports – the ability to create confidential waste tonnage reports which can help a User submit quarterly waste tonnage returns for their business (if required) to their regulatory body.
- EDOC All Waste Report – this provides an overview of all waste transfers recorded within the system. Aggregation is used to anonymise data such that the creator of the Waste Transfer Note cannot be identified. These can be created by any User of Our Site.
Data Export – the data is anonymised so that the creator of the Waste Transfer Note cannot be identified. These reports can be created only by the following organisations:
- The Environment Agency
- The Northern Ireland Environment Agency
- The Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Natural Resources Wales
- The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Welsh Government
- Waste & Resources Action Programme
- Zero Waste Scotland
Other applicable terms
Information about us
- Defra is the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on environment, food and rural issues. Their head office is at Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR.
Changes to these terms
Changes to Our Site
- We may update Our Site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. However, please note that any of the content on Our Site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update it.
- We endeavour to provide Our Site in a form that is free from all errors and/or omissions, however, we cannot guarantee that this is always the case. We may need to make changes to Our Site to correct any such errors and/or omissions.
Accessing Our Site
- Our site is made available free of charge.
- We do not guarantee that Our Site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to Our Site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of Our Site without notice. We will not be liable to You if for any reason Our Site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for You to have access to Our Site.
- Our Site contains a test system where You can create test Waste Transfer Notes and test Reports (“EDOC Test”).
- Test Waste Transfer Notes created on EDOC Test cannot be used as Waste Transfer Notes to fulfil Your legal obligations;
- All information entered on EDOC Test is at Your own risk;
- You must not enter any confidential or commercially sensitive information on EDOC Test;
- The information You use to register on EDOC Test must not be confidential or commercially sensitive;
- All information, including Your registration details entered on EDOC Test may be deleted by Us at any time;
- We accept no responsibility for any information submitted to EDOC Test and exclude all liability to the fullest extent permitted by law in relation to any loss or damage of any kind arising out of Your use of EDOC Test.
Your account and password
- If You choose, or You are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, You must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
- If You know or suspect that anyone other than You knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of information
- You may use Our Site only for lawful purposes. You may not use Our Site or submit any information which:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- Impersonates any person, or misrepresents your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Is made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promotes any illegal activity.
- Knowingly transmits any data, sends or uploads any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- You also agree:
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of Our Site;
- any equipment or network on which Our Site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of Our Site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use Our Site.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Waste Transfer Notes or other material submitted by you to Our Site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
Intellectual property rights
- You own the copyright in any contribution that you make and any Waste Transfer Note created as a result of that contribution.
- To the extent that we own any intellectual property rights in Waste Transfer Notes created by You, we grant You a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, nonexclusive licence to use any Waste Transfer Notes produced by you.
- This licence does not apply to any content on Our Site other than Waste Transfer Notes. If you want to use any other content then you must seek separate permission from us.
- You will be able to create Reports from the information that you submit to Our Site. Other Users of Our Site will be able to create Reports from anonymised data taken from the Waste Transfer Notes created by you.
- By submitting information to the Our Site, you agree to grant us a worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use an anonymised version of the information submitted by you. We will use this anonymised information to give Users the ability to create Reports.
- This licence shall grant us the right to grant sub-licences over the whole or any part of the anonymised version of the information submitted.
- We may exercise all copyright and publicity rights in the material contained in any anonymised version of the information submitted in all jurisdictions, to their full extent and for the full period for which any such rights exist in that material.
- Any sub licence issued by us of any anonymised versions of information submitted by You or any other User (in whole or part) once made available to create Reports (on the Our Site) shall be for full and unrestricted non-commercial use rights and commercial rights on condition that all rights of the original contributor are upheld. However, Users do not grant licences to Us in respect of the copyright that they own in the Waste Transfer Notes produced. Waste Transfer Notes remain confidential to users that created them and to Users which have access to them. Users only grant licences in respect of anonymised data produced from the Waste Transfer Notes which is used for the creation of Reports.
- Subject to the above, we are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in Our Site, and in the material published by Users on it.
- You may print off or download:
- copies of any Waste Transfer Notes produced by You;
- copies of any Waste Transfer Notes in respect of waste which You are to receive or which You have an interest in;
- copies of Reports created by You.
- Other than the Waste Transfer Notes and Reports referred to above, You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any other page(s) from Our Site for your personal use and You may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on Our Site.
- You are permitted to annotate copies of your Waste Transfer Notes for legitimate business purposes. However, You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any other materials You have printed off or downloaded in any way, and You must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors), as the authors of content on Our Site, must always be acknowledged.
- Other than the relevant Waste Transfer Notes and Reports You must not use any part of the content on Our Site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from Us.
No reliance on information
- The content and functionality of Our Site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which You should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on Our Site.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on Our Site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on Our Site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
- Unless you give us permission, we will not have access to and will not be able to view the full information contributed by You for the purposes of creating Waste Transfer Notes, the Waste Transfer Notes themselves or any Reports created by You which contain this information. We will only be able to access information for the purposes of creating Reports from the EDOC All Waste Reports and/or the Data Export.
- You are responsible for all information that You input on to Our Site.
Data Quality Manager – moderating weights
- A Data Quality Manger will be appointed to monitor certain information submitted to Our Site for the purposes of creating Waste Transfer Notes.
- The Data Quality Manager will only have access to information submitted to create a Waste Transfer Note on Our Site which Our Site identifies as having a potential error in the “Weight” field. The Data Quality Manger will not be able to obtain access to any information which has not been identified as having a potential error.
- When a potential error is identified in the Weight field of a Waste Transfer Note the Data Quality Manager will be given access to the Waste Transfer Note and may contact the User that created the Waste Transfer Note to query whether the value entered in the Weight field is correct.
- The Data Quality Manager will not share the Waste Transfer Note or the information contained on it with any other person and the content of the Waste Transfer note shall remain confidential.
- When appointed, a Data Quality Manager will be responsible for checking potential errors in the weight field of Waste Transfer Notes. No other aspect of information submitted to create Waste Transfer Notes will be moderated.
- For the avoidance of doubt the Data Quality Manager shall always be a person that is independent of any industry regulator that is responsible for the enforcement of paper Waste Transfer Notes.
Limitation of our liability
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to Our Site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
- You are solely responsible for the content of any Waste Transfer Notes or Reports created by You. We do not and cannot give any warranties, reassurances or approval of the accuracy or veracity of Waste Transfer Notes or Reports created on Our Site. We assume no responsibility for any content provided by You or any other Users or Guests of Our Site.
- We will not be liable to any User for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, Our Site;
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on Our Site or functionality of Our Site; or
- use of or reliance on any Waste Transfer Notes or Reports created on Our Site.
- Please note that in particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of Our Site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
- We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on Our Site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Submitting information to Our Site
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and You will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty.
- Save for as set out in relation to Waste Transfer Notes above, we also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by You to Our Site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
- We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by You or any other user of Our Site (including the accuracy or veracity of Waste Transfer Notes).
- Any views expressed by Users or Guests on Our Site do not represent Our views or values.
- We do not guarantee that Our Site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access Our Site. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse Our Site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to Our Site, the server on which Our Site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to Our Site. You must not attack Our Site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, You would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use Our Site will cease immediately.
Linking to Our Site
- You may link to our home page, provided You do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to Our Site in any website that is not owned by You.
- Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may You create a link in any website to any part of Our Site other than the home page without our consent.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- If You wish to make any use of content on Our Site other than that set out above, please contact email@example.com.
Third party links and resources in Our Site
- Where Our Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for Your information only.
- We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
Logos on Our Site
- You cannot use the logos or other registered Trademarks on Our Site without formal permission from us or the owner of that logo.
- If you wish to complain about any aspect of Our Site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are not able to deal with any complaints regarding the content of Waste Transfer Notes as we do not have access to them.
- We will inform you of the outcome of our review within a reasonable time after receiving your complaint.
- To contact us, please email email@example.com.
- Thank you for visiting Our Site.
- We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Information about the data controller
- For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is the EA.
Information we may collect from you
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us
- You may give us information about you by submitting information to Our Site to create a Waste Transfer Note (or otherwise), registering to receive updates about EDOC, by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use Our Site, register to receive updates regarding EDOC, make a contribution to Our Site or when you report a problem with our site.
Information we collect about you
- With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information you give us
Uses made of the information
- We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us
- The full information you provide us with will be used:
- to create Waste Transfer Notes; and
- to provide you with the ability to create Reports, and will only be accessible by you.
- The anonymised version of the information you provide us with will be used to:
- allow Users to create Reports;
- carry out research and development work on environmental issues;
- keep the public registers up to date;
- provide information from the public register to anyone who asks;
- respond to requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (if the Data Protection Act allows).
- The complete information contained in the Waste Transfer Notes created by You shall remain confidential to you and shall only be accessible by You and Users referred to in the Waste Transfer Note (unless we are given permission to access the Waste Transfer Notes by You or a disclosure is required by law).
- To contact Users or Guests registered to receive information about Our Site to provide updates, further information or ask for feedback about Our Site.
- The full information you provide us with will be used:
Information we collect about you
- We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to identify the organisations that are using the EDOC system;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
- We will use this information:
- Information you give to us
Disclosure of your information
- We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Our business partners;
- IPL Information Processing Limited who host Our Site;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If either Defra or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store your personal data
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will either inform you (before collecting your data) or ask for your permission (after collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
- The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act.
- What are cookies?
- 'Cookies' are small files of information that a website sends to your browser and hard drive while you are viewing a website. These cookies are then sent with every subsequent request to the website for the lifetime of the cookie.
- For the duration of your browser session on Our Site, Our Site uses temporary cookies to track and identify your session and who you are logged in as. These cookies are necessary for the operation of EDOC. If they are blocked you will not be able to access all or parts of our site. They expire when your browser session ends. Our Site also uses persistent cookies to track which messages you have seen on Our Site, which messages you have dismissed, your preferred language and your geographical location. Our Site also uses Google Analytics to track your activity on the site in order to improve the accessibility of features that users require most. The cookies set by Google Analytics can be disabled by enabling a browser feature to block third party cookies.
- Your consent to accepting Cookies from Our Site